GardenShare

GardenShare

Sunday, October 1, 2017

Another SLU student joins the GardenShare team for the semester

My name is Maya Williams and I am a senior at St. Lawrence University. As part of a “community based learning” component for a course I am taking on local food and farming, I am volunteering with GardenShare. 

For the next three months, I will explore how a local nonprofit is managing issues of hunger and access to healthy food in the North Country. I am particularly interested in community outreach and involvement in the organization, as I believe it is vital to the success of the project. 

As an Environmental Studies and Geology major, I hope to someday pursue environmental education, fostering appreciation and stewardship of the natural world. Outside of GardenShare and school, I am on the rowing team, where incredible morning sunrises on the St. Lawrence River make up for 5 am wakeups. I also love to hike, climb trees, and collect rocks (hence the geology major). 

Currently, my favorite book is Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. If you haven’t read it, you should. It will change the way you think about the role humans have on this planet in new ways. Fresh beets are my favorite vegetable, even though I refused to eat them until I was about 15. 

No comments:

Post a Comment