GardenShare

GardenShare

Friday, September 29, 2017

New intern works on educating youth on food system issues

Name:  Becky Tierney

Town of residence:  Canton, NY – from Franklin, MA

Role at GardenShare:  As an intern, my primary responsibility is to reach out to youth in the St. Lawrence County community and spread the mission of GardenShare through education. I am creating another lesson plan for GardenShare’s repertoire on youth education and will be assessing the effectiveness of this new plan through survey.

How long?  I am interning at GardenShare from the month of September through December of 2017.

Why I do what I do:  I applied to be an intern at GardenShare because as an environmental studies major, I believe that one of the major ways we can mitigate climate change is by being mindful consumers and supporting local, small businesses rather than large franchises. GardenShare promotes local agriculture and emphasizes the importance nutritionally, economically, and environmentally of buying and eating local.

Role outside of GardenShare:  Outside of GardenShare, I am a full-time student at St. Lawrence University and will be graduating with a Bachelor’s in Environmental Studies with a French Minor in the spring of 2018. At St. Lawrence, I work for the Calling All Saints team as a student-caller and am a member of the Laurentian Singers.

Hobbies:  Singing, dancing, drawing and writing.

Most recent accomplishment:  I have just recently returned from studying abroad in Australia where I learned about the environmental management of the Great Barrier Reef and the marine park in which it lies. I hope to work in environmental management and in educating others on how their choices and actions impact their environment. Through GardenShare, I hope to develop my communication and organizational skills so that I can learn more about the food system within St. Lawrence County and educate its youth about GardenShare’s mission of eating locally and mindfully.

Favorite song, book, or movie?  My favorite song is Green Eyes by Coldplay.

Last read?  Small is Beautiful by E. F. Schumacher


No comments:

Post a Comment