GardenShare

GardenShare

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Retail workers dilemma this holiday season

For many low-income workers, the holiday season means extra hours and extra income, but that can also mean that they get cut off from SNAP or other public benefits that are helping their families survive, even though the extra income goes away right after the holidays.

One woman said, "I was on my way to my job when my food stamps were cut off. They had called me to work there overtime for one day and I thought to myself, 'Well, if I go down there this one day, are they going to cut my food stamps off? I really didn't know what to do. I don't think it's fair for us to get reprimanded for doing something positive.'"

Read more about the effects of the SNAP cliff in a new report from Children's health Watch. And find some options for action in their recent blog post.

Gloria

No comments:

Post a Comment