GardenShare

GardenShare

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Hunger 101 at SUNY Potsdam

Today, a group of GardenShare volunteers joined me to present Hunger 101 to a class at SUNY Potsdam.

This is the third time I have presented the program at SUNY Potsdam and has been the case in the past, there were students in the room had some real life experiences with programs like the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program and food pantries.  This enriches the conversation as students are able to open about these experiences and help others realize that this is real and happens right here among us.

One of these students said, "I've had some experience on SNAP before so I know that it can be very tricky.  But I have not had to use SNAP in a while so this helped give me some basic perspective."

Here are some other comments from students in the class:

  • I didn't realize how hard it can be for someone to get enough food for their family.
  • I changed my mind about SNAP - I realized that SNAP is given to people actually need it!
  • It was kind of comfortable, but that was the point.
If you would like to schedule a Hunger 101 session for your group, please get in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment