GardenShare

GardenShare

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Americorps volunteer joins GardenShare

All of us at GardenShare are thrilled that we've been approved to add an Americorps volunteer to our team!  And very happy to welcome Brianna Blackburn who just started her year of service this week.

Hi, my name is Brianna Blackburn, I am GardenShare’s first ever AmeriCorps VISTA member serving this upcoming year in the neighborhood! I spent majority of my life growing up in the suburbs of Phoenix, Arizona and moved to Western New York just in time for high school. I am presently finishing up my degree in Political Science with minors in Law and Business at Clarkson University this December.

Why AmeriCorps you ask? Social and environmental justice have become issues that I am extremely passionate about and AmeriCorps was a great way to start a life of advocacy and activism. I am so excited to be welcomed into the GardenShare team and am especially excited to become a member of the local community! 

One of my favorite activities to do is experiment with new recipes while jamming out to Van Morrison. I also love reading the works of Kurt Vonnegut on my free time. I am also an avid road tripper and back packer, I mostly prefer to rough it and camp out in the elements. I have been to 30 states and my goal is to travel to all 50! My favorite place I have traveled to is the Northwest region of the US, most particularly Mt. Rainier in Washington. I spent last spring on a semester exchange in Hong Kong and back packed through Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, Thailand, and the Philippines. My most recent trip was a solo road trip from NY to Southwest Colorado to see Pearl Jam play! I have been saving up diligently to back pack through Iceland as my next adventure after my year of service!

I am very excited for what the next year has in store for me, and thank you for welcoming me into the community!


Brianna 

No comments:

Post a Comment