GardenShare

GardenShare

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Introducing....GardenShare's Board President

Name:  Carol Smith Pynchon

Town of residence:  Canton

Role at GardenShare:  Volunteer President of the Board of Directors

How long? 4 years on the Board of Directors, previously served as a volunteer

Why I do what I do:  The problems of poverty and hunger in our community are profound. I have long appreciated the work of GardenShare to get at the root of these problems, and I think this small organization can make a difference for many of our North Country neighbors. Lending my time, energy, and expertise allow me to be a part of making that difference.

Role outside of GardenShare:  Trustee, Village of Canton

Hobbies:  I love to travel and consider myself a “global citizen.” Seeing other parts of the country and the world helps me appreciate all we have in the North Country and gives me ideas for things we can do to make a positive difference.

Most recent accomplishment:  Coordinating Canton’s Local Food, Local Places project

What has changed the most in your time at GardenShare?  Leadership. We have been lucky to grow under the leadership of three strong and passionate directors: first our founder Phil Harnden, then Aviva Gold, and now Gloria McAdam. They all provide an extraordinary foundation for the work of the Board, staff, and volunteers.

What has stayed the same? Our commitment to ensuring “healthy food, healthy farms, everybody eats.”

What's the hardest thing you've done or had to learn at GardenShare? My work with GardenShare has given me a deeper awareness of the problems of hunger and poverty in our county – in my village and town. The reality is sobering and discouraging.

Favorite song, book, or movie? Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

Last read? The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

What one word would you use to describe yourself? Connecter

Share something about yourself that few people know. I lived in Italy for several years as a child, did my junior year abroad there, and have visited several times since. I speak Italian and love everything Italian.

What are you most proud of?  My family.

What would I find in your refrigerator right now? Fruit and veggies from Martin’s farm stand, meat from 8 O’Clock Ranch, and way too many extras brought home from camp. I’ve committed to not buying anything – nothing – until we’ve “eaten down”!

No comments:

Post a Comment