GardenShare

GardenShare

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Another volunteer on the GardenShare Board of Directors

Name:  Maria Corse

Town of residence:  Pierrepont

Role at GardenShare:   Board of Directors (newly elected Secretary of the Board) and Co-Chair Outreach and Education Committee

How long?  2.5 years

Why I do what I do:  There are multiple reasons for my direct involvement in GardenShare: Number one being  the important mission and vision of ending hunger in St Lawrence County.  Number two being the amazingly dedicated and fun people who work for and with GardenShare towards this mission.  And, number three being my family's lifestyle choices which include growing our own food, cooking and preserving it, and supporting local farmers.

Role outside of GardenShare:  I am the Founder and Director of Deep Root Center for Self-Directed Learning in Canton.

Hobbies:  In my downtime, I spend my time writing  blog posts and children's stories.  I am also a voracious reader.  I love to cook and bake, as well.

What has changed or stayed the same in your time at GardenShare?  The thing that has stayed the same or even gotten worse since I began as a GardenShare board member two and one half years ago, is the gross inequity in St Lawrence County.

What's the hardest thing you've done or had to learn at GardenShare?  I have learned to speak up in group meetings as well as take on a leadership role at GardenShare.

If you were a superhero, what would your power be?  My power would be to create a socially just, peaceful world where everyone was able to get everything they needed to be healthy, and fulfilled.

Something about yourself that few people know.  Very few people know that my first degree is in Fashion Design from Cazenovia College. 

What are you most proud of?  I am most proud of my two independent, compassionate, and spirited
children who are out in the world doing good things while following their dreams.

What would I find in your refrigerator right now?  If you opened my refrigerator right now, you would find leftovers (when your kids leave home you have plenty of leftovers for lunch!), a gallon jar of homemade kimchi, a half gallon of homemade yogurt, 2 dozen local eggs, mushrooms, a bowl of whole hot peppers, a bag of kale, a jar of chaga tea, a jug of hard fresh pressed apple cider, and lots of cheese.

Anne Frank once said that in spite of everything, she believed people were basically good.  Do you agree or disagree?   I agree with Anne Frank's statement, because when most people are treated with kindness  and respect, they will reciprocate.

No comments:

Post a Comment