GardenShare

GardenShare

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Sometimes snow days = no food days

From an article in the Huffington Post last week:  "While most kids rejoice upon hearing the news of a snow day, many low-income children dread that phone call more than anything else during the winter season."

Why?  Because sometimes their only healthy meals of the day are the ones they get at school!

In one of my "getting acquainted" meetings recently, I was glad to hear that some school superintendents in the North Country are reluctant to call snow days, because they know the kids will be home with no food, maybe no or little heat, and maybe no supervision.

I'm a parent and a grandparent.  I want the kids to be safe.  But I also want them to have healthy meals so they can grow and learn and become productive members of society.

How do we solve this?  I'm not sure I know.  But I do know that we won't solve it if we aren't acknowledging it and talking about it.  And I also know that I cannot tolerate living in a society where it's okay for children to go hungry, so I will keep fighting with every fiber of my being until we do solve the problem!

Gloria

No comments:

Post a Comment